Birds of a feather flock together! Hey, there gang! I wanted to take this week and do something special for you. Games can be stressful and I care about your health. So, I wanted to put together a quick yoga workout you can do at your own house during halftime.
As much as I love yoga, I am no yogi, so I enlisted my good friend Alexis Duran of Sumits Yoga North Phoenix to help me. I had a chance to meet with Alexis and have her show me the poses, but you can also meet Alexis and take her class at Sumits Yoga North Phoenix, Wednesdays at 12 pm and Thursdays at 7pm. Here is the yoga sequence she recommends. You will hold each pose for 30 seconds to one minute. Listen to your body and let it guide you.
Yoga pose order:
- Forward fold grabbing elbows and swaying side to side (for lower back and hamstrings)
- Right and left standing side stretch (to stretch your sides)
- Hands interlaced, head back and slight back arch
- Forward fold with hands over head
- Pigeon pose both right and left leg (Hips)
- Butterfly stretch (hip opener)
- Sitting, straight leg stretch (hamstring stretch)
- Frog stretch (hips, groins and lower body stretch)
- Lizard left and right leg (hip flexor stretch)
- Back arch on knees (digestion)
- At the top of your yoga mat do a forward fold, slightly bend your knees, let your arms hang over your head and grab your elbows and then sway side to side. This is so good for your back. Stay here as long as you need to loosen your lower back and hamstrings.
- Then with with a flat back reach all the way up and stretch it out. Grab your right wrist and bend to the right and back to center. Grab the left wrist and bend to the left and then back to center.
- Clasp your hands behind your back, arms straight and tilt your head back. Then, bend at the waist and look back at the wall behind you.
- Bend all the way over, head to knees and keep hands clasped and let them fall over your head and stretch.
- Pigeon pose. This is where you are on your knees and you take one foot out in front of you and turn it into a triangle and flex your foot. Lay on your leg for extra stretch. Repeat on the other leg.
- Butterfly pose. Sit on the mat, bend your knees and bring your feet together
- Straighten out the legs and flex the feet (bend your knees if you have to) and stretch. You will really feel it in your hammies.
- This next one is fun and a really good all body stretch. Its called the Frog. Once on all fours, spread your knees as far as you can to really stretch the groin, hips and lower body.
- Lizard Pose. This is like the pigeon pose but we aren’t going to lay our leg on the ground. From your knees, put one leg in front of the other one and place your foot flat on the ground, push your elbow into your knee and let your head hang. Repeat on the other leg.
- Lastly, on your knees, place your hands on your lower back and do a semi back arch. This helps with digesting all the popcorn, wings and burgers on gameday.
- And there you have it!! A quick 11 min workout just in time to grab some water and sit back down for the second half.
Thank you so much to Ashley and Alexis of Sumit Yoga for helping me out. Sumit Yoga’s website is sumitsnorthphoenix.com and you can find Alexis on instagram @babylexdurrr.
Be sure to check out all of our Fangirl Fitness content here
More about the NFL's Crucial Catch campaign hereDon’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel and make sure to follow me on Twitter and Instagram @cardinalsFGSN. Go Cardinals!
Music in Video Credit:
Fresh Air Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License