I am already bored knowing the Broncos will not be playing on Sunday, but an early bye week gives me the opportunity to share with you my Broncos Report Card.
Quarterly Broncos Report Card
- First up on the report card, the Broncos running game and CJ Anderson & Jamaal Charles are at the top of their class. The two combine for 88% of the teams rushing yards. Both average almost five yards a carry, and each have a rushing touchdown. So, for their stellar efforts and numbers, I am giving the run defense an A.
- Let’s take a look at the receivers: They’ve been showing up to class and making their names known. I can’t say they’ve put up the best numbers, but hey they’re showing up. The top four receivers for the Broncos have been targeted 92 times so far and only caught 56 of those, making that a 60% catch rate….not great boys. They’re also averaging seven receiving yards. With all of that being said, I am giving them a B-.
- Next on the report card is going to be a two part grade. We’re looking at the Broncos defense. The run defense has been spectacular through the first four games of 2017, facing two of the league’s best running backs in Ezekiel Elliot and Marshawn Lynch and holding them to less than 25 yards. They have held opponents to a total of 203 yards and an average of 2.4 yards a carry. Outstanding, A.
- Now the secondary is not going to see the same marks. They have allowed a total of 892 yards and given up 56 points to receiving touchdowns. There is most definitely room for improvement. I’m giving them a B-.
- Last on the report card is leadership. Under new head coach Vance Joseph and staff – defensive coordinator Joe Woods, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, and special teams coordinator Brock Olivo -the Broncos have shown they are a new and improved team to be competitive this year. And with captains Von Miller, Aqib Talib, Demaryius Thomas, Trevor Siemian and Brandon McManus who have proven to be leaders on and off the field, I give an A for leadership!
Happy bye week and rest easy knowing the guys in orange and blue are putting up passing grades!
More about the NFL's Crucial Catch campaign here
- Sports Authority Field at Mile High on wikipedia by compujeramey
- Denver Bronco Logo on Wikimedia by Denver Broncos
- CJ Anderson on Wikimedia Commons by Jeffrey Beall
- Ezekiel Elliott on Wikimedia Commons by Keith Allison
- Marshawn Lynch on Wikipedia by Keith Allison
- Von Miller on flickr by Jeffrey Beall
- Aqib Talib on flickr by Jeffrey Beall
- Demaryius Thomas on flickr by Jeffrey Beall
- Brandon McManus on flickr by Jeffrey Beall
- Trevor Siemian on flickr by Jeffrey Beall