It’s may be the offseason, but the San Francisco 49ers’ general manager and head coach tandem of John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan have been busy making moves. They signed defensive back K’Waun Williams and defensive tackle Earl Mitchell, while re-signing wide receiver Jeremy Kerley to a three-year deal. In a move that was both surprising and not, the Niners have released wide receiver Torrey Smith, after two lackluster years in two very lackluster offenses. But still, it makes a lot of sense. They have also released safety Antoine Bethea. Onward and upward we go.
With the free agency period officially beginning on Thursday and the draft less than two months away, the 49ers are in need of a quarterback, wide receivers, linebackers, and basically everything else. Therefore, we can expect many more moves to come.
On this week’s Talking Touchdown’s podcast, Steph and I are joined by Niners Wire of the USA Today Sports Media Group’s Chris Biderman to talk about the next couple of months and how we see them playing out for San Francisco. We go over a variety of subjects, including:
- Kirk Cousins and the pros and cons of trading for him now or waiting to sign him as a free agent next year
- Other potential options at quarterback
- Free agent wide receivers Alshon Jeffery, Terelle Pryor, and Pierre Garçon, and which of them we think make the most sense in the red and gold
- Who we think the Niners will draft with the #2 pick
- What kind of splash we expect the 49ers to make during free agency
- And, Lynch and Shanahan and why we like what we’ve seen from them so far.