What’s up my 0-6 Faithful? It’s Talking Touchdowns time, and I’ll say this, the 49ers actually did score touchdowns before losing another heartbreaker.
They are in fact the first NFL team to lose five games in a row by three points or less. It’s a dubious honor but it’s ours. Next up are Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys who are coming to Levi’s Stadium on the day Dwight Clark is being honored by the 49ers. That is very fitting.
San Francisco 49ers vs. Dallas Cowboys
- The Brian Hoyer era is over in Santa Clara. This is C.J. Beathard’s team now…for now. After Hoyer continued to struggle, the rookie came in with the 49ers down 17-0 and led an almost-comeback victory. The 49ers scored 24 points. This is progress.
- The Cowboys have a young secondary and Orlando Scandrick has struggled, so Beathard can potentially exploit, assuming that his receivers actually catch the ball. I’m not talking to you, Pierre Garçon. You’re perfect. The rest of you however…
- The Dallas defense had a busy bye week, with defensive tackle Stephen Paea announcing his retirement. It’s possible the Cowboys will use their “Deacon Defense” which would employ two linebackers on the field. This would be an opportunity for Carlos Hyde and Matt Breida to establish the run. I dare you Dallas. Try it!
- The 49er defense will have a couple additions and a couple subtractions. Hopefully, fingers crossed, knock on wood, whatever, Reuben Foster will make his return on Sunday. Dekoda Watson too. Arik Armstead broke his hand and is on IR, while Aaron Lynch is out at least a week. And it turns out Ezekiel Elliott will play Sunday, so the Niners need Solomon Thomas to be more consistent and keep moving forward, not backward.
- And then there’s the Dak of it all. The Dallas offense is his and he’s going to have to carry it through the air…literally.
The most I can hope for in this game is that the 49ers continue to be competitive. The close losses are heartbreaking but they also say a lot about the future of this team in a good way. Dallas will probably win but you know…any given Sunday. Go Niners!
More about the NFL's Crucial Catch campaign here
- 49ers on wikimedia commons by Sports Logos.Net
- Dak Prescott on flickr by Keith Allison
- Cowboys on Wikimedia Commons by Dallas Cowboys
- Dwight Clark on Flickr by Cliff1066
- Brian Hoyer photographed by Tracy Sandler
- CJ Beathard photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Orlando Scandrick on Wikimedia Commons by Natalie_113
- Pierre Garçon photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Carlos Hyde on wikimedia commons by Jeffrey Beall
- Reuben Foster photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Arik Armstead provided by Arik Armstead family
- Aaron Lynch on flickr by Jeffrey Beall
- Solomon Thomas photographed by Tracy Sandler