OK, Faithful the 49ers are 0-8 but who cares?? John Lynch has gone and done it again and traded a 2018 second round draft pick for one Jimmy Garoppolo and in case you couldn’t tell, this Fangirl is VERY excited! Welcome to Santa Clara Jimmy G!
5 Fun Facts about 49ers’ Jimmy Garoppolo
Garoppolo won’t start this week, which is good because the offensive line is a bit of a mess. Garry Gilliam going to IR, Trent Brown questionable this week and Joe Staley out until after the bye week (oh and WR Pierre Garçon is questionable this week too), but the Niners just may have themselves a real live QB.
Over on defense, Jimmie Ward is going to IR for the third time in four years, K’Waun Williams is questionable. Solomon Thomas is going to miss time, post bye week in fact. D.J. Jones is up in the air this week but Reuben Foster should be back.
We all know what’s going on with this team and next up are the much-maligned Arizona Cardinals. I’m mixing up Talking Touchdowns this week and making it a 5 Fun Facts on on our new QB Jimmy G, because really, that’s the story my faithful friends.
Fact 1: Garoppolo attended Eastern Illinois where he broke Tony Romo’s records for career passing touchdowns, yards and passing touchdowns in a season
Fact 2: Jimmy is one of four, count them four, boys. Mike, Tony, Billy, and Jimmy. Their mom says they literally broke down walls playing as kids.
Fact 3: Being from Illinois, the Garoppolos were Bears fans. Once Jimmy was drafted by the Patriots, the neighbors decorated their house in all Patriots gear. Might their house now be red and gold?
Fact 4: Garoppolo turns 26 today, November 2. Happy birthday Jimmy! You get a sputtering offensive with basically no O-line protection! But, we do have Susie Cakes in the Bay Area, so you have that going for you.
Fact 5: Jimmy is 2-0 as an NFL starter. He played in six games last year, going 43 of 63 passes for 502 yards and four touchdowns.
This trade doesn’t change that the 49ers are 0-8. The 49ers need to score touchdowns. The 49ers need to protect C.J. Beathard or Jimmy G. The depleted Niner defense has to find a way to cover Larry Fitzgerald, and Pierre Garçon (if he plays) has to find a way to escape Patrick Peterson. All that being said, this trade changes everything in so many ways.
Though we probably aren’t going to see Garoppolo’s starting debut this week, maybe this trade is just the mojo this team needs. The 49ers have to win sometime, and this week may just be there best chance. Please help me Cardinals Fangirl. We got a QB. Now we need a win. Go Niners!Don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly podcast and YouTube channel. Also, make sure to follow me on Twitter and Instagram @49ersfangirl. Go Niners!
- 49ers on Wikimedia Commons by Sports Logos.Net
- Eagles on Wikimedia Commons by Philadelphia Eagles
- Jimmy Garoppolo holding jersey photographed by Chris Biderman
- Jimmy Garoppolo(in Patriots jersey) on Wikimedia Commons by ShoneBK
- Jimmy Garoppolo on Wikimedia Commons by Jeffrey Beall
- Joe Staley photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Trent Brown on Wikimedia Commons by Jeffrey Beall
- Pierre Garçon photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Jimmie Ward on Wikimedia Commons by Jeffrey Beall
- K’Waun Williams on Wikimedia Commons by Keith Allison
- Solomon Thomas photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Reuben Foster photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Eastern Illinois University on Wikimedia Commons by Bubba73
- Chicago Bears Logo on Wikimedia Commons by Chicago Bears
- Patrick Peterson on wikimedia commons by Jeffrey Beall