San Francisco 49ers vs. Los Angeles Rams
So the San Francisco 49ers are 0-3 but don’t let that record fool you. This team has some fight and some grit and a future. They may have lost in a 4th quarter shootout to the Los Angeles Rams, but the future is bright, and right now the future is in Arizona.
Next up for the red and gold are the division rival Arizona Cardinals, who are 1-2 after a 28-17 Monday Night Football loss to the Dallas Cowboys.
Let’s take a look:
San Francisco 49ers vs. Arizona Cardinals
- Brian Hoyer and the 49er offense is alive. Hoyer was 23 of 37 for 332 yards, two TDs and an INT against LA. That is a massive improvement. Pierre Garçon had a monster game with seven receptions for 142 yards and Marquise Goodwin caught the ball. Progress.
- The passing game will be up against 49er foe and Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, while Garçon will have to contend with Patrick Peterson, so Goodwin will have to continue his progress. The 49ers will also need to find ways to get creative and keep Trent Taylor involved.
- It could not be clearer the other night that Carson Palmer and the Arizona offense are desperately missing David Johnson. Palmer and Co. started strong on Monday but after an early missed FG, they lost their spunk and couldn’t keep up with the Cowboys.
- This week, Palmer, who was sacked five times Monday night, will also have to contend with DeForest Buckner, whose 16 QB pressures is the most in the league among all interior defenders, according to Pro Football Focus.
- The depleted 49ers defense will be coming off 10 days rest so the front seven should be able to contain running back Chris Johnson. Chris isn’t David.
- Up and down cornerback Rashard Robinson is going to have his hands full with Larry Fitzgerald who is still making highlight catches with frequency at 34. He finished Monday night with 15 receptions for 149 yards and a touchdown. Yikes.
- Arizona’s run D only have up 99 rushing yards Monday, but Carlos Hyde has been consistent so he should be able to get something going on the ground.
In theory, the Cardinals are a much better team than the 49ers, but in practice, they may just be better. Palmer doesn’t quite seem the same, while Dak Prescott and the Cowboys fooled the Arizona defense all night. But that’s Dak and the Cowboys. This is a winnable game but will they win it? I know what Cardinals Fangirl Sande thinks, but let me know what you think Faithful!Don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly podcast and YouTube channel. Also, make sure to follow me on Twitter and Instagram @49ersfangirl. Go Niners!
- 49ers Logo on wikimedia commons by San Francisco 49ers
- Brian Hoyerphotographed by Tracy Sandler
- Pierre Garcon photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Marquise Goodwin photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Trent Taylor photographed by Tracy Sandler
- Tyrann Mathieu on flickr by Gage Skidmore
- Patrick Peterson on wikimedia commons by Jeffrey Beall
- Carson Palmer on flickr by FF Swami
- DeForest Buckner on Wikimedia Commons by Jeffrey Beall
- Rashard Robinson on Wikimedia Commons by Jeffrey Beall
- Larry Fitzgerald on flickr by Brook Ward
- Carlos Hyde on wikimedia commons by Jeffrey Beall