Hello my Faithful students! Our San Francisco 49ers are coming off their bye week and going to play their eighth game of the season – so help us all. It seems like the right time to do my annual 49ers’ report card. I’m afraid a number of students are going to be spending time in detention.
I grade our guys in the red and gold in a number of subjects, including:
- Math, which is an area of great struggle for the Niners. You have to score more points than your opponent to win, and that’s not going well.
- Defense means the action of defending from or resisting attack. The Niner run defense does not understand the meaning of the word, as it has put up little to no resistance against opposing offenses, allowing opposing teams 1296 yards thus far. The seventh ranked pass defense is the only thing that keeps this group from failing outright.
- Defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil, who seems like a very nice person, is not a good defensive coordinator. Aside from the aforementioned issues with run defense, the defense regularly looks confused and discombobulated. Players are running into each other while opposing players are running right past them on the way to touchdowns. Granted, he doesn’t have much to work with in the way of talent, but still.
- The 49ers get high marks in drama class for their ability to create so much of it.
- Quarterbacking – Since Blaine Gabbert lost his starting job, I think you all can figure out where his grade falls. So that brings us to our good friend Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick currently has a completion rate of 46%. That’s bad. However, he can still run and has shown some minor signs of improvement, so his grade isn’t quite as poor as you’d think.
- Social Studies – Colin Kaepernick and the 49ers get an A on this one. Kaepernick and his protest for social justice and social equality have sparked a National conversation. The 49ers have matched Kap’s $1 million pledge to help underserved communities and they have been supportive of their QB in this endeavor.
- Head Coaching – To say the Chip Kelly 49ers are off to a rough start is an understatement. After a six game losing streak, Kelly and the 49ers come back to Levi’s hopefully refreshed and recharged and ready to Beat the Saints. I can’t put all of this on Kelly. He has a deficient roster and very little to work with. However, this team can’t seem to do anything right after the first quarter of any game and a lot of that is coaching.
- Management – General Manager Trent Baalke is responsible for this roster. It is his and his alone. And it is bad. Very, very bad. Draft after draft has been a bust and the Niners did nothing in free agency to help this team; hence, the deficient roster.
- Effort – Our guys in the red and gold get one more A and that one is for effort. No matter how good or not good this team is, I know these guys work hard and are doing the best they can. So good job. 53 participation trophies to go around!
Thanks for watching! Comment below and tweet me @49ersfangirl to let me know what grades you would give the Niners!
Some good news Niner fans! We’re extending the giveaway for the bedazzled Carlos Hyde Jersey until November 11! Just subscribe to my YouTube channel and to my e-mail newsletter in the module below, and you’ll have a chance to enter to win!
Just as the 49ers got their bodies right, I’m doing a cleanse with chefv.com. Get 55% off of a Chef V Cleanse with code FANGIRL. Learn more here: http://www.chefv.com/product/chef-v-organic-cleanse/